Parsnip and Rosemary Risotto with Parsnip Crisps

Parsnip and Rosemary Risotto- a sweet and nutty, vegetarian risotto with roasted parsnip and rosemary, topped off with crunchy parsnip crisps.

Close up of a bowl of parsnip risotto with parsnip crisps standing in the risotto


I made parsnip risotto this week, something I have been meaning to do again for quite some time. The very first time I made it, I was inspired by a Christmas meal I had in a restaurant. I didn't really like anything else that was on the menu so I ordered the parsnip risotto. I was wowed when I tried it. It had a delicious, nutty, sweet taste and was topped with parsnip crisps. Honestly the nicest risotto I had ever eaten. With our 2018 commitment to Meat Free Mondays, it seemed the perfect excuse to update the recipe.

The parsnip and rosemary risotto I am sharing today, has a base of garlic and rosemary with roasted parsnip stirred through. Roasting the parsnip gives it more of a nutty taste. Ideally, you want it golden and well-softened so that it breaks up a little when it's stirred through the rice. I use cheddar because my husband is not a fan of Parmesan. In any case, Parmesan would stop the dish from being vegetarian. If that's not a concern for you, by all means use the cheese that you love.

What really makes the whole dish, is the parsnip crisps. They are crunchy, slightly sweet and they add some lovely texture. The key for making parsnip crisps is to avoid using too much oil. I brush them with a pastry brush so they have enough to crisp up, but they're not dripping with oil after they cook.

Parsnip and rosemary risotto makes a great winter meal for dinner and is perfect in smaller portions as a starter.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make Viennese Whirls

Ultimate Mince Pies

Traditional Jam and Coconut Sponge