Apple Cake

Apple Cake- a light, moist sponge cake flavoured with chunks of fresh apple and cinnamon. Delicious served warm with cream or custard for an autumn winter dessert.

Apple Cake

I am usually really good at finding interesting ways to use up any bananas that are on the turn (see here for my banana recipes). But, when it comes to apples, I don't have that many recipes at my fingertips. You could make crumble with leftover apples but really, it's much better with cooking apples than eating apples.

When I remembered that a few eating apples were lurking under a big bunch of bananas in our fruit bowl, I wasn't sure quite what to do with them. I decided to make an apple cake to use them up, rather than let them go to waste. I was very pleased when the apple cake turned out beautifully, all golden brown with little pieces of apple peeking out of the top. It has a lovely, soft texture and the apple pieces make it very moist.

This apple cake works very well with slightly softened, eating apples (ours were Galas). If you wanted to use cooking apples, you would need to chop them quite small and cook them down a bit with a little sugar.

I was originally intending it to be a cake, cake, the kind of cake that you eat a slice of with a cup of tea. It's actually even better as a dessert cake, the kind you have warm with a big slosh of cream or a jug of custard. We have tried it with both, just to be thorough in our testing! It's a perfect, simple, winter dessert.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bid a fond farewell TO UNDERARM ODOR FOREVER WITH THESE HOME REMEDIES!

Applesauce Bread with Honey Butter

Pete's Scratch Pancakes