Valentine's Day Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Cream Cheese Filling

Valentine's Day Chocolate Cake- an easy recipe for a heart-shaped chocolate sandwich cake with chocolate cream cheese icing filling and pink buttercream icing.


a red heart shaped chocolate sandwich cake decorated with chocolate chips


Jump to recipe

My husband and I don't often do much about Valentine's Day. The main reason is because it's our wedding anniversary shortly afterwards and that means we can avoid the expensive flowers, pricey set menus and so on, and celebrate two days later!

Despite being a bit bah humbug about it all, I really wanted to make a Valentine's Cake. I was given a heart-shaped silicone cake mould by one of my lovely teaching assistants, which is just the thing for a Valentine's Cake! It turned out really well- a heart-shaped cake, a chocolate sponge with a chocolate cream cheese filling and pink buttercream on top. The sponge was lovely and light. A good thing considering the rich filling and additional icing on top!

Icing is definitely not my strong point; I'm still learning all the techniques. So, if you're a whizz with a piping bag, you could probably make it look much prettier on the top than I did! If you are looking for a heart-shaped cake tin, most of the big supermarkets and department stores have them at this time of year. For this cake, you want one that is roughly equivalent to a 20cm tin. I only had one, so had to hold half the mixture back until I could wash the mould again.

A lot of people complain about silicone moulds, saying that they are impossible to get cakes out of, but I find, if they are cleaned well before every use and are well-greased with butter, they are far more reliable than standard tins. Happy Valentine's Day!


close up of a heart shaped chocolate sandwich cake with red icing decorated with chocolate chips


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make Viennese Whirls

Ultimate Mince Pies

Traditional Jam and Coconut Sponge